Get hands-on training on how to use the latest Windows Server 2012 R2 capabilities to deliver solutions to small and midsize organizations
When SMBs think about virtualization, they typically think about server consolidation—enabling them to run more applications on fewer servers and helping to cut costs for hardware, maintenance, and power. Virtualization also delivers a range of other benefits, like making it dramatically faster and easier to manage the IT environment.
One major benefit of virtualizing your customers is that it eases the upgrade path by eliminating the pain typically associated with migrating servers. Once services are hosted on virtual machines, it is simple to move the contents of a server to new hardware—or to deploy to the cloud. Virtualization also creates a foothold for additional services in a range of other areas, such as backup, disaster recovery and storage.
Selling virtualization solutions and services on the Microsoft platform offers a number of unique advantages. Perhaps most important, it’s built-in to the operating system at no extra cost. When you deploy Windows Server 2012 R2, you’ve deployed a complete virtualization platform for your SMB customers.
Ahead of the Game Technical Series – Be Lean & Stay Lean
The Ahead of the Game Technical Series Be Lean & Stay Lean Learning Path provides training, demonstrations, and the option to complete hands on labs on how to use the latest Windows Server 2012 R2 capabilities to deliver virtualization and cloud solutions to small and midsize organizations. This one-day course covers three key solution areas of importance for SMBs, including server consolidation, backup & disaster recovery, and cost-effective storage.
In this training, you will:
* Get hands-on experience at your own pace: With a focus on building real-world solutions, this training consists of presentations, demos, and hands-on labs. Enjoy the opportunity to complete the training at your pace and revisit content as much as you like.
* Get the skills you need to build real-world SMB solutions: Designed to help you prepare for the new and improved Midmarket Competency coming in 2014, this technical series is designed specifically for partners working with SMB customers to build solutions using the latest products and technologies from Microsoft.
Who Should Participate
The Ahead of the Game Technical Series Be Lean & Stay Lean course is for Microsoft value-added reseller (VAR) partners with or without existing business practices built on Windows Server and/or SQL Server who work with small and midsize organizations. The training is designed for IT professionals and consultants who are ready to learn more about meeting the technical needs of SMBs with virtualization and cloud solutions.
What We Will Cover
This course focuses on three key solution areas of importance for SMBs, including server consolidation, backup & disaster recovery, and cost-effective storage.
1. Server Consolidation
Server consolidation is where most organizations begin. With Windows Server 2012 R2, you can offer customers the value of a built-in virtualization platform and lay the groundwork for additional virtualization and cloud-based solutions.
In this part of the training, you will learn about the core technologies that drive the Microsoft server virtualization infrastructure. Topics include:
* Server Consolidation Overview
* Introducing Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V
* Hyper-V Host and VM Basics
* Workload Mobility
* Dynamic Memory
* Virtual Storage
* Virtual Switches and Networks
* NIC Teaming at the host level
* VHDX storage practices for hosts and VMs
2. Backup, Disaster Recovery & Resiliency
According to statistics from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), 40% of businesses in the U.S. that are hit by disaster never reopen. Systems can go down for many reasons, whether it’s a power outage, a break-in, or a fire. In light of recent events, SMBs are focused on disaster recovery and data backup solutions. Once out of reach for smaller businesses, you can now offer affordable solutions that can literally keep your customers in business if disaster strikes.
In this part of the course, you will learn about the similarities and differences that are involved with protecting data and services in a virtualized environment versus a traditional physical environment. Topics include:
* Data protection challenges
* Data protection requirements
* On Premises data protection tools
* Cloud-based data protection tools
* Hyper-V Replica
3. Cost-Effective Storage
It is astounding to think about the change in the types and volumes of data businesses need to store versus five or ten years ago. Anyone can now capture large photo and video files, and on top of that we have constant access to a stream of data from email, social media, blogs, and more.
With the explosion in volume and types of data in the workplace today, flexible, scalable storage is a requirement for SMBs. Now, with built-in features in Windows Server 2012 R2, you can offer high-end storage functionality at a fraction of the cost of traditional solutions.
In this part of the training, you will learn about the core technologies that drive the Microsoft server storage infrastructure. Topics include:
* Windows Server 2012 R2 Storage Stack
* Cost Effective Storage using JBOD and Storage Spaces
* Scale out File Services and SMB 3 storage
* Performance Considerations
* Workload and Data Pattern Considerations