While most of us were probably enjoying a well deserved summer break during the last couple of months, Microsoft licensing teams have introduced quite some enhancements and changes. A brief overview:
- The Updated Core CAL: as of August 1st 2011, Lync Standard CAL and Forefront Endpoint Protection are moving from the eCAL step up suite to the Core CAL Suite
- The introduction of License Mobility through Software Assurance, allowing your customers to deploy certain server application licenses in an authorized service provider’s datacenter
- New Planning Services have been introduced, now helping customers to plan the deployment of System Center, Windows Azure, Visual Studio Team Foundation Server SQL Server, Lync Server AND -last but not least – a migration to Office 365!
- Windows Thin PC, again a new Software Assurance benefit, provides a low footprint, locked down version of Windows 7 Enterprise that enables customers to repurpose existing PCs as thin clients
- Improvements to the VLSC portal
All these enhancements are a result of both the current evolutions in IT AND customer and partner feedback.
The next coming months will be exciting as well, with launches of SQL Server Denali and System Center 2012. As licensing specialists, we all have
undoubtly some interesting learnings in front of us , enabling to show increased value & expertise to our customers.
If you want to stay tuned – do not hesitate to join our closed LinkedIn Group.